If you have been directed to this page by your healthcare provider, you are due for a heart health check.
What is a Heart health check?
A heart health (or cardiovascular disease) check is an estimate of your risk of having heart attack or stroke in the next 5 years.
When do you need a Heart health check?
Generally, 30 to 75 years old. You might also need to check sooner than others if you have the following risk factors,
- you have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or a high level of stress
- you have a history of previous heart events or a family history of cardiovascular disease
- you take certain medications
Once you have had your first heart health check, your health provider will let you know when your next appointment is due. Most people require a follow up check in 5-10 years, but others may need yearly checks.
What do I need to do?
When it is your turn for your heart health check, you will receive a text or phone call from one of our staff. They will ask that you
- get a blood test, to check your blood sugars, kidney function and often cholesterol, depending on your individual need
Depending on the results of your blood test, one of our team will be in touch via
- text message, if your results are normal
- phone call if your results are abnormal and treatment is recommended - you be invited to schedule an appointment to discuss.
Why do you need a Heart health check?
Knowing more about your heart and what affects it's health, can help you to make some positive lifestyle changes. Cardiovascular disease (disease that affects your heart and blood vessels) is New Zealand's number one killer. Being aware of your risk factors is important to understanding your individual risk.
What is involved in the 15-min appointment?
- measure your height, weight and blood pressure
- cardiovascular disease risk assessment discussion, based on your overall 'risk' - involves interpretation of recent blood tests, review of family history risk factors, discussion of any modifiable risk factors
How much does it cost?
If you are invited to book a 15 minute appointment, the cost will be
- $33 for non community service card holders
- $19.50 for community service card holders.